Spring is almost here. Along with the warmer weather, motorcyclists will again be on the roads and highways of upstate South Carolina. Here are a few safety tips for avoiding accidents.
Greenville SC Auto Accident Attorneys: Law Of Negligence
Road accidents — including those involving motorcycles — are filed and prosecuted under South Carolina law of negligence. To prove negligence, a victim of a wreck or a collision must provide evidence showing the four elements of negligence: duty, breach, causation and injury.
Greenville SC Auto Accident Attorneys: What Are Your Duties as a Driver?
If you are driving, statutory and case law imposes upon you what is called the “duty of ordinary care.” Essentially, this means that you must drive and operate your vehicle in a manner that is safe and in a manner that avoids injury and damage to others on the roads — including motorcyclists. The duty of ordinary care has several components including the duty of:
- Keeping a proper watch for other vehicles — including motorcycles;
- Avoiding accidents;
- Keeping control of your car/truck/motorcycle;
- Anticipating potential dangers; and
- Driving safely under weather and lighting conditions.
If a careless driver breaches his or her duty of ordinary care, they have been negligent. And, if their negligence causes an accident, then that careless driver will be liable for all resulting injuries and damages.
Greenville SC Auto Accident Attorneys: Motorcycle Safety Tips For the Bikers
Tips for the motorcyclist include:
- Wear your helmet;
- Wear protective clothing — leather clothing, boots and gloves not only for warmth but for safety;
- Wear bright colors maybe attach reflective tape;
- Ride with your lights on — anything that helps other drivers see you;
- Be more careful during rush hour;
- Be more careful at night;
- Follow traffic rules;
- Ride defensively — do not assume other drivers can see you;
- Be a VERY defensive driver around trucks, big rigs and semis — big trucks have a tough time seeing small motorcycles;
- Avoid riding in blind spots particularly with trucks;
- Ride in groups if you can;
- Do not ride drunk or high on drugs; and
- Do not ride drowsy.
Greenville SC Auto Accident Attorneys: Motorcycle Safety Tips For Drivers of Cars/Trucks
- Remember there are more motorcyclists on the road now that spring is here;
- If you see a motorcycle, keep a good watch for the biker;
- If you saw a motorcycle a minute ago but they are now “gone,” look again — likely the biker is still there maybe in your blind spot;
- Avoid bikers who are riding dangerously — if a bike is speeding and swerving, let them go and avoid them; and
- Give more room for bikers that are in front of you — motorcycles are more susceptible to losing control if they hit gravel or debris on the road pavement, so give more room to stop if the bike in front of you crashes.
Greenville SC Motorcycle Accident Attorneys: David R. Price, Jr. P.A.
We here at the law offices of David R. Price, Jr., P.A. want everyone to enjoy driving and biking on the roads of Greenville and upstate South Carolina. But tragically, wrecks and collisions occur. Just recently, Furman University lacrosse team member was killed in a motorcycle collision.
In the unfortunate event of that you are involved in an accident while biking, call the proven and courtroom-tested Greenville SC motorcycle accident lawyers here at David R. Price, Jr., P.A. Contact our office today via email or by calling directly.
David Price is a Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Collections, and Criminal Defense Attorney who practices in Greenville, SC. He graduated from the University of Georgia School of Law, and has been practicing law for 12 years. David Price believes in helping those who have been injured. Learn more about his experience by clicking here.