Car Accident Attorneys in Greer, South Carolina
Driving is almost a necessity for many people in South Carolina, but the statistics for car accidents in South Carolina are shocking. The South Carolina Department of Public Safety reports that an auto accident takes place on South Carolina roads an average of every 5 minutes and that someone will suffer an injury related to a car accident on average every 8.5 minutes.
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in South Carolina, then you know that it can be a frightening and traumatic experience, especially if you or a loved one suffered an injury. You should know that you may have the right to economic compensation if your injuries from a motor vehicle accident were due to someone else’s reckless, careless, or negligent actions.
Causes of Car Accidents in Greer, South Carolina
The majority of car accidents that happen on South Carolina roads could have been prevented. Some of the most common causes of Greer, South Carolina car accidents include:
1. Distracted Driving: Any activity that takes a driver’s attention away from the road, even for a couple of seconds, may be considered distracted driving. This includes among other activities: texting, talking on a cell phone, eating, reading, changing the radio station, and talking to passengers, including children or pets.
2. Speeding: Experts knowledgeable about automobiles and road safety have reported that people who drive at a high rate of speed are responsible for more than one-third of all car accidents in the United States every year. Speeding on Greer, South Carolina roads has been proven to be both counterproductive and deadly.
3. Drunk Driving: It’s estimated that over 300,000 cases of drunk driving occur every day across the United States. Nearly 22,000 drunk driving arrests were made in South Carolina last year according to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety.
Common Injuries in South Carolina Car Accidents
There are many injuries a person can suffer if they are involved in a South Carolina car accident. Some of the most common are:
1. Head injuries: Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are extremely common in South Carolina car accidents. A TBI can occur when a person’s brain keeps moving after your head has stopped. The brain can collide with the inside of the skull with enough force that the brain is injured. Examples of head injuries range from mild concussions to brain bleeds, swelling of the brain, and skull fractures.
2. Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries: These types of injuries can occur when severe force is exerted on a person’s body during a South Carolina car wreck. People can suffer from whiplash or other types of neck injuries, typically in rear-end collisions. Back and spine injuries can include sprains, vertebrae fractures, herniated disks, and even damage to the spinal cord. These types of injuries can lead to numbness, and, in severe cases, paralysis.
3. Internal injuries: Sometimes, seatbelts, airbags, and other restraining devices can cause internal injuries to vital organs. Internal injuries can affect your kidneys, spleen, liver, lungs, and other internal organs. Additionally, broken ribs are a common injury among drivers injured in car accidents in Greer, South Carolina.
4. Death: An extremely serious car accident in Greer, South Carolina could result in a person’s death or the death of a loved one. If this happens, the deceased person’s family can file a wrongful death claim against the party responsible. In a wrongful death case, the deceased person’s family can sue for medical expenses, funeral costs, and the loss of financial and emotional support.
What to do After a Car Accident in Greer, South Carolina
If you are able and your injuries are not too severe, there are certain things you should do after being involved in a South Carolina car accident. These things include:
1. Call the police. Report the accident to the police. Also let them know if emergency medical personnel are needed for anyone who may have been involved in the Greer, South Carolina motor vehicle accident.
2. Obtain information. If you can, get the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and insurance information of the other driver(s) involved in the Greer car accident. Additionally, you will want to try to obtain the name and telephone numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident.
3. Take photographs. If you are able, take photographs of your vehicle, the damage to the other person’s vehicle, and of the scene of the collision.
4. Get medical attention. Don’t delay seeing a doctor or going to the emergency room to be examined as soon as possible after your Greer, South Carolina car accident. In many cases, symptoms of injuries may not show up immediately. Even if you feel perfectly fine, it’s important for your health and safety to be seen by a health care professional as soon as you are able after the accident. In addition, being seen by a doctor starts a medical record of the accident that you may need later to support your claim for damages.
5. Contact a Greer, SC car accident attorney. It’s important for you to meet with a South Carolina personal injury attorney who can help you evaluate your case and advise you of your options. It may be possible that you’ve already been contacted by the other party’s attorney or insurance claims adjuster. It’s important that you don’t give them any type of statement, whether it be recorded or written until you talk to an attorney. Anything you say could be used against you if your case goes to trial.
6. Don’t settle for less. Medical expenses, lost wages, and other expenses can add up quickly after you’ve been injured in a Greer, SC car accident. In addition, depending on your injuries, there may be future medical bills, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity. Insurance companies are notorious for offering the lowest amount of money necessary to settle claims, and you don’t want to take less than you deserve. If the insurance company approaches you with a settlement offer, don’t take their offer until your injuries have fully recovered, and don’t take less than you really need. It is best to discuss your case with a South Carolina car wreck lawyer before accepting any settlement.
Why You Need a Greer, South Carolina Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a motor vehicle accident, the best thing you can do is hire a skilled and knowledgeable South Carolina car accident lawyer. Your South Carolina attorney can evaluate your claim, investigate your case, call on expert witnesses, if necessary, and be a strong advocate for you against the insurance company, and even fight hard in court for you if your case goes to trial.
South Carolina car accident law can be complex depending on the facts of your individual case and the injuries that you sustained in the collision. There are specific rules, procedures, and dates that must be followed as set forward by the law and with the South Carolina courts. Having someone on your side to take charge over the legal aspects of your personal injury claim can allow you to focus on healing, knowing that your Greer, South Carolina car accident attorney is fighting hard to get you the monetary compensation you deserve. Call David R. Price, Jr., P.A. today!