Greenville, SC Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer

When you've been hit by a drunk driver, rely on an experienced car accident lawyer in Greenville to help determine who is liable for the compensation you deserve. Contact us at David R. Price, Jr., P.A. to seek the benefits you deserve.

Free Case Review

Contact us today for a free review of your DUI accident case.

If you are the victim of a car wreck caused by a drunk driver, a Greenville car accident lawyer can assist you. The attorneys at David R. Price Jr., P.A., represent victims who are hurt because of drunk drivers. Contact us today for your consultation and start your case today.

Representing Victims of Drunk Driver Accidents in Greenville, SC

Victims of drunk driving car accidents often suffer from serious physical and mental injuries. They may be debilitated for the rest of their lives.

Drunk driving is an entirely preventable problem. If you are a victim, you deserve justice. A Greenville DUI accident lawyer at our firm can assist you in claiming the financial compensation you deserve. Drunk driving is a not legal because it is so dangerous, and our law firm understands the importance of accountability to people injured as a result of unlawful conduct.

If you have been injured by a drunk driver, then you deserve compensation for your losses. Let the attorneys at David R. Price Jr., P.A., represent you in the legal process. Contact us for a free consultation and see how we can assist you if you have been hurt by a drunk driver.

Drunk Driving Accident Claims in South Carolina

Because drunk driving is so inherently dangerous, there are a number of laws prohibiting such conduct and providing penalties when some drives while impaired on drugs or alcohol (SCDPS, SC Laws Relative to Impaired Driving):

  • South Carolina defines drunk driving as when a person is influenced by alcohol to the point that their ability to drive is appreciably and materially impaired.
  • If a person has a bodily alcohol content of .08 per higher, it creates an inference that they are under the influence.
  • A person can also be charged for having an unlawful bodily alcohol content of .08 or higher.
  • When drunk driving causes great bodily harm, the offender may face a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
  • DUI victims are entitled to compensation through a civil claim. They may claim compensation for economic and non-economic loses that are personal to their situation, such as for medical bills, lost income and earning capacity, pain and suffering, emotional anguish, vehicle damage, and other losses.
  • Civil cases are decided based on a preponderance of the evidence standard. It means more likely than not that the claim is valid. This is a much lower burden of proof than is used in criminal cases.

If you are hurt by a drunk driver, you may claim financial compensation under South Carolina law. However, victims have a limited time period to initiate a drunk driving accident claim in South Carolina. DUI victims should always have a lawyer to represent them and their legal interests.

Greenville SC DUI Facts and Statistics

South Carolina has one of the highest rates of drunk driving in the nation, and within South Carolina, Greenville County has one of the highest rates of drunk driving of any county in the State. Here are some of the disturbing statistics (MADD, 2020 SC Drunk Driving Fatality Numbers Released, Greenville News, Greenville has highest DUI fatality rate):

  • 315 people died in drunk driving crashes in South Carolina in 2020. That’s a 14% increase in fatalities from 2019, even though the total number of miles driven decreased.
  • South Carolina ranks 10th in the United States for total drunk driving deaths even though it is only 23rd in population.
  • On average, one person dies in a DUI crash in Greenville every two weeks.
  • Greenville County has the highest drunk driving death rate in South Carolina.
  • The city of Greenville has a population of 70,095 as of the 2020 Census. Greenville County has a population of 533,834. For these residents and for visitors to the area, drunk driving remains a constant danger.

The rights of DUI accident victims to civil justice and financial compensation are not contingent on the results of an offender’s criminal charges. A victim may initiate their own legal proceedings in civil court to hold the offender accountable. Civil cases are started and pursued by the victim, who is entitled to representation from an experienced Greenville DUI accident lawyer.

Compensation for Drunk Driving Accident Victims

A victim who suffers physical injury in a drunk driving accident may claim financial compensation. The legal claim may seek economic losses and non-economic losses as damages.

Economic losses are direct and indirect financial losses. They include bills that victims incur, and lost income that is not earned because of injuries. Examples of economic losses are:

  • Emergency medical care, ambulance transfer
  • Costs to diagnose, stabilize and treat injuries
  • Ongoing medical care and rehabilitation
  • Costs of mental health care
  • Lost wages and benefits
  • Injury to careers future earnings
  • Vehicle and other property damage

Non-economic damages includes compensation for subjective losses, which are less tangible and do not lend themselves to objective measurement: Examples of non-economic losses are:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional anguish
  • Disfigurement
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of companionship

A third category of damages is punitive damages. While punitive damages are less frequently awarded, they may be available in a DUI accident case. These damages are designed to punish the responsible party for unlawful conduct, and to deter future conduct from the defendant and other parties.

Ultimately, the purpose of any civil claim is to hold the the responsible party or parties accountable and to compensate the injured person for the harm that they have endured. Although money alone cannot fix what has happened, it can provide a measure of justice. As a DUI victim’s legal representatives, we investigate the extent of each category of loss to ensure that our clients are fully compensated for the harms they endure.

Do I have a case for a DUI accident?

If you have been hit by a drunk driver and you are injured, you may have a case for compensation. To prove a DUI accident case, you must show the following:

  • The driver was under the influence of alcohol or over the legal limit
  • An accident occurred
  • Drunk driving was a legal cause of the accident
  • You have injuries
  • Damages are appropriate to pay for your losses and suffering

Although the police may investigate any DUI accident, law enforcement investigations focus primarily on preserving evidence for possible criminal charges and for traffic accident statistics. By conducting our own investigation, we explore every possibility for calculating and recovering the compensation you deserve.

Experienced Lawyers – Aggressive Advocates

DUI offenders should be brought to justice whenever someone is injured in a drunk driving accident. At David R. Price, Jr., P.A., we understand the importance of accountability. Our goal to hold the parties responsible for all of the harms that they have caused our clients.

If you are the victim of an accident caused by a drunk driver, you should never be victimized again by an insurance company trying to mislead you or minimize your claim. Our law firm was founded to help the afflicted stand up to those with more power. We are determined and zealous representatives, and we are here to help good people who find themselves in trying circumstances.

Free Consultation – Talk to a Lawyer Today

At David R. Price, Jr., P.A., legal consultations are free, and you can talk to a lawyer right now. Let us learn about your situation and explain how the law applies to your facts. Then, we can answer your questions and talk about how our legal representation can assist you.

To speak to a Greenville DUI accident lawyer, call (864) 271-2636, or message us now.


Contact Us Today For Your
Free Case Review or call:

(864) 271-2636