In South Carolina, one person dies every 8.6 hours due to injuries suffered in a car accident. On average in South Carolina, a car accident occurs every five minutes, and someone suffers a traffic-related injury every 8.5 minutes.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Simpsonville, South Carolina
Many car accidents in South Carolina are preventable and are generally due to a driver choosing an activity that caused someone to be injured or lose their life. The most common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted Driving: In Seneca, South Carolina, and across the country, distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents. Distracted driving includes texting, talking on the cellphone, eating, reading, changing radio stations, or even talking to the other passengers in the vehicle. Studies have shown that taking your eyes off the road for even a second the odds of being involved in a serious car accident increases dramatically.
- Drunk Driving?: It’s believed that approximately 10,000 fatal car accidents occur around the country due to drunk driving. Drunk driving in South Carolina leads to thousands of car accidents a year.
What to do After a Seneca, South Carolina Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be a frightening event, but it’s important to try to keep yourself calm. If your injuries allow you, there are a few steps you should take.
- Call the Police: Report the accident to the police and tell them if emergency medical personnel are needed for yourself, your passengers, and/or the other drivers.
- Get Information: If you are able, get the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and insurance information of the other drivers involved in the Seneca, S.C. car accident. Also obtain the names and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Get Medical Attention: As soon as possible after the car accident go see a doctor or go to the emergency room to be checked out. Sometimes symptoms of injuries don’t start right away. This step is important for your health and safety, and it serves to start a medical record of your injuries from the accident that you may need later to support your claim for damages.
- Contact a Seneca, SC Attorney: The insurance company may attempt to get you to give a written and/or recorded statement. Do not do this without first consulting an experienced South Carolina personal injury attorney. Anything you say to the insurance company may be used against you at a later date, and your attorney can advise you on what to say and what not to say. Retaining an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible after the accident reduces the chances that you say or do something that can be used against you in your case.
Common Injuries in a Seneca, South Carolina Car Accident
A South Carolina car accident may cause you to different types of injuries. While it’s always traumatic and stressful to be injured in a motor vehicle accident, some injuries are more severe than others. Some of the most common injuries suffered in Seneca, South Carolina vehicle accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: One of the most common injuries in South Carolina, ahead or traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be one of the most devastating and debilitating injuries you can suffer. A TBI occurs when a person’s brain continues to move inside your skull after your head and/or body stops moving. The brain can collide with the skull with enough force to cause a serious or devastating injury. Some of the most common symptoms associated with a brain and/or head injury include sleep issues, rapid mood swings, depression, and memory loss, just to name a few.
- Back, Neck, and Spinal Cord Injuries: These types of injuries are caused by a force that is exerted on the body in a serious accident. Whiplash and neck strains generally happen during a rear-end collision. Fractured vertebrae, herniated discs, and back sprains are common injuries in a Seneca, South Carolina car accident. Spinal cord injuries can be serious and lead to numbness or paralysis.
- Internal Injuries: Seat belts, air bags, and other restraint devices can all cause internal injuries in a car wreck in South Carolina. Vital organs such as the spleen, liver, lungs, and kidneys can all suffer an injury that may require hospitalization or even surgery.
- Death: An extremely serious Seneca, South Carolina car accident could result in a person’s death or the death of a loved one. If this happens, the deceased person’s family can to file a wrongful death claim against the party responsible. In a wrongful death case, the deceased person’s family can sue for medical expenses, funeral costs, and the loss of financial and emotional support.
Don’t Settle for Less Than You Deserve
Medical expenses lost wages, and other expenses can add up fast after you’ve been injured in a Seneca, SC car accident. In addition, depending on your injuries, you may have future medical bills, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity. Insurance companies are notorious for offering a low amount of money to settle claims and you don’t want to take less than you deserve. If the insurance company approaches you with a settlement offer, don’t take less than you are really entitled.
Why You Need a Seneca Car Accident Attorney
A skilled and knowledgeable South Carolina car accident attorney knows and understands the law. One of the biggest benefits of hiring a Seneca car accident lawyer is that you’ll have someone to share the burden of your case with. David R. Price, Jr. P.A. can focus on the legal proceedings so you can focus on healing from your injuries. Consider the benefit of having a strong advocate on your side to ensure you and your loved ones receive all the monetary compensation that the law entitles you to receive.